Step into the world of Homemade Shake ‘n Bake Chicken with a twist! This culinary adventure takes the iconic classic recipe and infuses it with the magic of air frying, resulting in a delicious dish that’s both flavorful and crispy!
Homemade Shake ‘n Bake Chicken Recipe
When it comes to nostalgic comfort foods, Shake ‘n Bake Chicken holds a special place in many of our hearts. But what if I told you that you can transform ordinary chicken drumsticks into extraordinary crispy delights with just a few simple ingredients and an air fryer? No store-bought mix needed! This homemade shake ‘n bake chicken recipe combines the convenience of modern cooking with the irresistible deliciousness of the beloved classic.
Why You’ll Love Homemade Shake ‘n Bake Chicken
- Quick and Easy! Busy weeknights? Hungry family? No problem! With just a few basic ingredients, you can have a delicious chicken dish on your dinner table in under 30 minutes.
- Classic Flavor! This homemade shake ‘n bake chicken recipe combines nostalgia with innovation. Crafted with a homemade seasoning mix that makes each bite a tasty trip down memory lane!
- Family Favorite! A guaranteed hit! Kids love its crunch, while adults appreciate the savory notes. It’s one of those tasty fried chicken recipes that has everyone asking for seconds.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Chicken: I used chicken drumsticks, but you can substitute them with other cuts of chicken like thighs or wings if you prefer. Just keep in mind you may need to adjust the cooking time.
- Breadcrumbs: Provides the classic crispy exterior. You can use regular breadcrumbs or panko breadcrumbs.
- All-Purpose Flour: Used as an additional layer of coating and helps the breadcrumbs adhere to the chicken.
- Cornstarch: Adds a touch of crispiness to the breading.
- Herbs and Spices: A mixture of paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, dried thyme, dried basil, and dried oregano season the drumsticks and infuse them with the classic Shake ‘n Bake flavor.
- Salt and Black Pepper: Enhance the overall flavor of the dish.
How To Make Homemade Shake ‘n Bake Chicken
Recreating Shake ‘n Bake chicken is surprisingly easy and allows you to savor the familiar flavors without the need for a store-bought mix. Plus, you have the added satisfaction of knowing exactly what goes into your homemade version.
Preheat You Air Fryer
Begin by preheating your air fryer to 400°F (200°C), if necessary. Check the manufacturer’s guide for your model to determine if you need to do this step.
Make The Shake ‘n Bake Mix
While the air fryer is preheating, combine the breadcrumbs, all-purpose flour, cornstarch, and medley of herbs and spices in a mixing bowl. Then transfer the breadcrumb mixture to a large ziplock bag.
Season The Chicken
First, pat the chicken drumsticks dry with paper towels to remove any excess moisture. Then take a few of the drumsticks and place them in the plastic bag with the breadcrumbs. Now, tightly seal the bag and then give it a good shake until the chicken is thoroughly coated. Then repeat the process with the rest of the drumsticks.
Prep For Air Frying
After you’ve coated the drumsticks, lay them in the air fryer basket in a single layer, leaving enough space so that they are not touching. You may need to cook the chicken in batches depending on the size of your air fryer.
Now, lightly spray the drumsticks with cooking spray to achieve the perfect golden color and crispy texture. This step is essential.
Air Fry The Chicken
Time to let the air fryer work its magic! Slide the basket into the air fryer and cook the drumsticks for 10 minutes. Then flip them over, spray them once again with cooking spray, and cook them for another 10 to 12 minutes. You’ll know drumsticks are ready when the internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C) on a meat thermometer.
Rest And Serve
When done, let the drumsticks rest for a few minutes to give the juices time to redistribute. Then serve your homemade shake ‘n bake chicken with BBQ sauce and some of your favorite sides like baked mac and cheese and coleslaw.
Frequently Asked Questions
There are a few key steps to follow. To begin, make sure to pat your chicken dry before applying the breading mixture. Excess moisture can lead to a soggy coating. Also, be cautious not to overcrowd the air fryer. You must allow for proper air circulation for even cooking. Lastly, don’t forget to lightly spray the chicken with cooking spray, as it contributes to the crispy texture.
Absolutely! You can use chicken thighs, chicken breasts, or chicken tenders. Just make sure to adjust the cooking time to ensure each piece reaches a safe internal temperature of 165°F (74°C).
Yes! Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C) and place the coated chicken drumsticks on a baking sheet with a wire rack on top. This allows air to circulate around the chicken for even cooking. Then bake it for approximately 30 to 35 minutes, flipping it halfway through the cooking time and spraying it with cooking spray.
- Pat the chicken dry. Before coating the chicken, take the time to thoroughly pat the drumsticks dry with paper towels. This step helps the breading mixture stick better and prevents excess moisture, which can lead to soggy chicken.
- Cook in batches if needed. Make sure not to overcrowd your air fryer. Proper spacing allows for adequate air circulation, ensuring that each drumstick cooks uniformly.
- Check for doneness. Use a meat thermometer to verify that the internal temperature of your drumsticks reaches 165°F (74°C).
- Rest before serving. Let the cooked drumsticks rest for a few minutes before serving. This resting period lets the juices redistribute and keeps the homemade shake n’ bake chicken juicy.
You can store leftover homemade shake n’ bake chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply place the drumsticks in the air fryer at 350°F (175°C) for 3 to 5 minutes or in an oven at 350°F (175°C) for about 10 minutes. Another option is to reheat them in the microwave for a few minutes on medium power.
If you prefer, you can also freeze the leftovers for up to 3 months. However, be sure to let the drumsticks thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating them.
Discover More Chicken Recipes
- Creamy Bacon Chicken
- Chicken Cordon Bleu
- Air Fryer Chicken Katsu With Tonkatsu Sauce
- Pesto Chicken And Veggies
- Baked BBQ Chicken Drumsticks
- Garlic Parmesan Chicken Skewers
Craving More? Follow Along:
Homemade Shake ‘n Bake Chicken (Air Fryer Version)
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your air fryer to 400°F (200°C). Pat dry the chicken drumsticks with paper towels.
- In a bowl, mix together the bread crumbs, flour, cornstarch, and spices to make the homemade Shake 'n Bake mix. Transfer the homemade mix into the zip-top bag.
- Add a few drumsticks into the bag, seal it, and shake until the chicken pieces are thoroughly coated with the mix. Repeat this process until all drumsticks are coated.
- Place the coated drumsticks in the air fryer basket, ensuring they are not touching; this may need to be done in batches depending on the size of your air fryer. Lightly spray the drumsticks with cooking spray. This will help to achieve a nice golden color.
- Cook the drumsticks in the air fryer for about 10 minutes, then flip them over, apply another light spray of cooking oil, and cook for another 10-12 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C) on a meat thermometer.
- Let the drumsticks rest for a few minutes before serving.
Tips & Notes:
- Chicken Variation: This homemade Shake ‘n Bake mix works well with other cuts of chicken too, like thighs or wings. Adjust cooking time accordingly.
- Storage: Store any leftover Shake ‘n Bake mix in an airtight container for up to a month.
- Cooking Spray: Don’t skip the light spray of cooking oil on the drumsticks; it aids in achieving a crispy, golden exterior.
- Avoid Overcrowding: Ensure chicken pieces aren’t touching in the air fryer. This ensures even cooking and crispiness all around.
- Temperature Check: Always use a meat thermometer to ensure the chicken reaches a safe internal temperature of 165°F (74°C).