Skillet Chicken and Mushrooms – a simple and delicious dinner. Beautifully seasoned chicken thighs, earthy cremini mushrooms married together in a hot, cast iron skillet. In only 30 minutes you can have this delightful dish ready to serve.
Who says you need bone-in and skin-on chicken to get bold and delicious flavors? This skillet chicken and mushroom dish will prove that you really don’t. It’s all about how you season your chicken and this skillet chicken is seasoned to perfection with sautéed mushrooms that are perfectly cooked. Finish this dish with some fresh herbs, serve it over some rice and you’ve got it going on!
If you aren’t already pulling out your skillet – let me mention the enticing, buttery mushrooms that pair exquisitely with the chicken thighs. I love mushrooms not only because they are delicious but they are great source of protein and fibre! They also contain vitamin B as well as a powerful antioxidant called selenium, which helps support the immune system. What are you waiting for? Get cooking!!
Keep scrolling down to the recipe card for full ingredient amounts and instructions, or click the Jump To Recipe button at the top.
- Chicken – I used thighs, boneless and skinless.
- Onion Powder – You can also used flaked onion.
- Mustard powder – If you don’t have mustard powder, you can substitute turmeric, just be aware the flavor might be a tad different.
- Italian Seasoning – Made up of oregano, rosemary, thyme and basil. If you don’t have Italian seasoning you can use a mix of any of the above.
- Olive Oil – You can substitute vegetable oil, sunflower oil, safflower oil or avocado oil.
- Salt & Pepper – To taste.
- Butter – I used unsalted.
- Mushrooms – I used cremini, cleaned and sliced. White button mushrooms work as well.
- Garlic – Fresh is best! Minced.
- Salt and Pepper – To taste.
- Parsley – Chopped, for garnish.
How to Make Skillet Chicken and Mushrooms
- Prep Chicken – In a small bowl – whisk together seasonings. Pat dry the chicken thighs, then season with the dry rub on all sides.
- Cook the Chicken – Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a skillet then add the chicken thighs and sear on both sides until no longer pink. Transfer the chicken thighs to a plate.
- Cook the Mushrooms – In the same skillet add the butter and melt. Add the sliced mushrooms, and sauté until mushrooms soften and start to brown. Add the garlic, salt, pepper and stir together. Cook until aromatic.
- Finish and Serve – Return the chicken back to the skillet. Top each chicken thigh with mushrooms, garnish with fresh parsley. Serve immediately.
What to Serve With Skillet Chicken
This yummy dish is perfect to pair with plenty of different things! I like to serve mine with a nice side of creamy mashed potatoes or if I’m feeling adventurous, mashed cauliflower! Add some roasted veggies and you have the most PERFECT dinner. Here are a list of drool worthy sides to pair with your skillet chicken and mushrooms:
- Cauliflower Rice
- Roasted Green Beans
- Oven Roasted Potatoes
- Roasted Brussel Sprouts
- Mashed Potatoes
- Instant Pot Mashed Cauliflower
Can I Make This in Advance?
Yes, Absolutely! You can prep your chicken and mushrooms the night before and keep them separately in the fridge over night – Toss it in a skillet and there you have it! Keep in mind, raw chicken is best stored in a leak-proof container to prevent juices from leaking and contaminating other foods.
How to Store Leftovers
Leftovers should be kept in an airtight container and refrigerated for about 3-4 days. To reheat, you can pop it in the microwave or oven until it is heated through. Remember, cooked chicken should only be reheated once!
You can also freeze your leftover chicken for 2–6 months.
Do You Want More Great Chicken Recipes? Try These:
- Harissa Roasted Chicken and Potatoes
- Roasted Chicken and Vegetables
- Skillet Chicken Satay
- Baked Chicken Thighs
- Creamy Garlic Mushroom Chicken
- Cilantro Lime Chicken
- Spinach and Swiss Cheese Stuffed Chicken Thighs
- Lemon Pepper Chicken
Craving More? Follow Along:
Skillet Chicken and Mushrooms
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken thighs boneless and skinless
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper or to taste
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon butter unsalted
- 8 ounce cremini mushrooms cleaned ad sliced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper or to taste
- 1 tablespoon parsley chopped
- In a small bowl whisk together the onion powder, mustard powder, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Pat dry the chicken thighs with paper towels then season with the dry rub generously on all sides.
- Heat the 2 tbsp of olive oil over medium-high heat in a skillet then add the chicken thighs and sear on both sides until no longer pink, about 8 min per side. Might have to do in batches. Transfer the chiken thighs to a plate.
- In the same skillet add the 2 tbsp of butter and melt. Add the sliced mushrooms, and saute for about 3 to 5 minutes until the mushrooms soften and start to brown. Add the garlic, salt, pepper and stir everything together. Cook for another 30 seconds until aromatic.
- Return the chicken back to the skillet. Top each chicken thigh with mushrooms, garnish with fresh parsley. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes:
- Leftovers should be kept in an airtight container and refrigerated for about 3-4 days. To reheat, you can pop it in the microwave or oven until it is heated through. Remember, cooked chicken should only be reheated once!
- You can also freeze your leftover chicken for 2–6 months.
Leave a Review