Margarita – my take on the ever classic cocktail. Aromatic, bright lime flavor married together with a blend of tequila and triple sec. Served chilled with a salted rim, it’s the perfect drink on a hot summer’s day.
Refreshing and simple, this margarita recipe will be the only one you will ever need! Freshly squeezed lime juice, a hint of sweet sugar and an exquisite salted rim – it’s the perfect balance of flavors to leave your palate screaming for more.
I can’t think of a more perfect drink to have on a hot summer’s day. What’s better than holding a beautiful, citrusy margarita on a beach or deck? Holding two margaritas on a beach or deck, that’s what. If those options aren’t readily available to you – this recipe will take you to your happy place, making you feel like you’re on a vacation, when really you’re still at home. Sit back, kick your feet up, you deserve it.
What is a Margarita?
A margarita is a cocktail typically consisting of tequila, orange liqueur, and lime juice often served with salt around the rim of the glass. It can be served either shaken, blended or neat (without ice).
Dating all the way back to the 1930’s, the classic lime margarita still remains one of the most ordered drinks to date! Variations of margaritas are more common nowadays – using different blends of alcohol like triple sec or cointreau and classic flavors such as strawberry, mango, or passion fruit or you can mix it up with unique flavors like cucumber or jalapeno. Whatever the flavor, the margarita is an ever-popular crowd pleaser.
Keep scrolling to the recipe card for full ingredient amounts and instructions.. or click “Jump to Recipe Card” at the top!
- Salt – For the rim.
- Limes – Cut into wedges.
- Triple Sec – Can be substituted for another orange liqueur, cointreau will work as well.
- Tequila – Use your favourite tequila!
- Lime Juice – I used freshly squeezed, you can use store bought if you don’t have fresh.
- Sugar – Granulated.
How to Make A Margarita
- Rim Glass – Place salt on a small plate and rub the rims of glasses with one of the lime wedges. Dip the glass rims in the salt to coat; set aside.
- Mix Ingredients – Combine the triple sec, tequila, lime juice, and sugar in a large pitcher. Keep stirring until sugar is dissolved – If not serving right away, chill.
- Pour and Serve – Place a few ice cubes in each of the prepared glasses and pour tequila mixture in each glass. Garnish with lime wedges and serve.
How to Serve This
You can serve your margaritas over ice like I have or try an alternative method and blend it up! Just take your tequila mixture and pop it into your blender with some ice. Voila! You have a frozen, blended treat ready to go!
If you want to amplify your margarita experience even more, why not have multiple flavors?! Try some of these:
- Passion Fruit
What to Serve With Margaritas
Because of the bright lime flavor, margaritas are an ideal pairing when it comes to spanish dishes. Whether you’re hosting a party, girls night, or just in the mood for mexican – margaritas are the optimal choice. Try these recipes at your next margarita party!
- Cheesy Guacamole
- Avocado Tomato Salad
- Mexican Street Corn Salad
- Cilantro Lime Chicken
- Pork Fajitas
- Cheesy Beef Quesadillas
- Spicy Baked Mexican Chicken Egg Rolls
- Beef Enchilada Stuffed Peppers
- Chicken Taco Taquitos
- 3 Ingredient Mexican Rice
- Mexican Chicken and Rice Salad
Can I Make This in Advance?
Absolutely you can make margaritas in advance! If you’re hosting a backyard BBQ or party you can make this in a large pitcher ahead of time and chill it overnight in the fridge! This will cut down your prep time and make parties a breeze!
Did You Like This Fun Drink Recipe? Try These:
- Pina Colada
- Red Grapefruit and Basil Mimosas
- Moscow Mule
- Mojito Recipe
- Classic Canadian Caesar Recipe
- Mango Lassi
- Pomegranate Cider Mimosas
- Mango Lemonade
- Sangria Blanco
- Hot Mulled Cider
- Grenadine Sunrise
- Pomegranate Elderflower Spritzers
- 2 tbsp kosher salt
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- 3/4 cup triple sec, or other orange liqueur
- 3/4 cup tequila
- 1/3 cup lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Place salt on a small plate and rub the rims of 4 glasses with one of the lime wedges. Dip the glass rimbs in the salt to coat; set aside.
- Combine the triple sec, tequila, lime juice, and sugar in a large pitcher. Keep stirring until sugar is dissolved. If not serving right away, chill.
- Place a few ice cubes in each of the prepared glasses then pour tequila mixture in each glass. Garnish with lime wedges and serve.
- Make ahead: Make this in a large pitcher ahead of time and chill it overnight in the fridge!